Tuesday, February 25, 2020

A Painting has a life of it's own

Green background
Black Background
When I planned this composition I originally decided to have a green background.

In the first photo you can see the green background is in place. I was unhappy with it, I felt it would not highlight the plant the way I wanted it to.

Sometimes a painting has a life of it's own.

In the second photo you can see I have changed it. Lots of neutral tint. Much better.

I finished the painting and hated it. I could not decide what was wrong, so I put it away out of sight.

Reaching it out again, months later, I knew what was wrong. Too much neutral tint! I added more Sea Holly to the background.
More Sea Holly
Sometimes a painting definitely has a life of it's own.

Some paintings give you no trouble to paint, but then you always get one that is wilful, awkward, and puts up a fight.

Writers often talk about how their characters follow their own paths. Well who says plants can't do the same.

This painting is in the North Wales Society of Fine Art Exhibition which is being held at the Williamson Art Gallery & Museum, Slatey Road, Birkenhead, Wirral CH43 4UE.
The exhibition is open until 15th March 2020. Wednesday-Sunday 10.00am to 5.00pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment