This is one of my latest paintings. 'Sea Holly and Bee'. It was painted using watercolour and gouache.
I like really complicated and detailed pictures and this was definitely one of them. The flower was complicated and the bee was complicated, maybe I should paint something a little simpler next time!
The bee was actually on the flower when I took the photograph, but it would not perform well and kept moving into an awkward position. I based the bee on another photograph of mine. Ironically when I took that photograph I was not even looking for a bee and there it was in a perfect pose.
Maybe I should forget about insects and stick to my flowers, at least they don't fly away.
For more info visit my website www.sarahwoodart.com